Sunday, February 1, 2009

4 Months In...

It's February 1, which means that I've been working as an assistant for exactly 4 months now. In October, it seemed like I'd have so much time here, but now I realize that I'm way over the "halfway point" and the end is creeping up on me faster than I would like. I have only 9 weeks of actual work left! I never thought I'd get so attached to this school or these students, but I have (to the utter disbelief of many people). I know that soon the date of April 30 will be the T-Rex in Jurassic Park, chasing my Jeep through the jungle.

Bright shiny light of happiness: tomorrow I'm turning in my renewal form! After a lot of tennis matches in my brain (should I stay or should I go?), I decided that I'm going to at least request to stay at Boutet de Monvel. As much as I think it would be cool to live in another part of the Lorraine, I really do love it here. There are no people my age and nothing to do on weekends, but I love Lunéville in a way that I can't really describe (and only Kristie understands). My school is a total eyesore, but its my eyesore. My absolutely free eyesore. More than half of my students probably hate English, but they've always been polite and respectful in class. I don't know, I'm just comfortable here. Of course, applying to renew doesn't mean I'll for sure be renewed. And choosing to stay at Boutet de Monvel doesn't mean I'll for sure be placed here again. If I'm placed elsewhere, I'm sure I'll be happy (I can find bright spots in almost any situation), but I know I'd miss this place more than I'd care to admit.

As a side-note, I saw 5 of my students in the span of 24 hours. One very friendly terminale at the train station, who struck up a 5-minute conversation with me. Three more terminales in Sephora, of all places (I just caught a glimpse of them as they were leaving). And one seconde in the chip aisle of Leclerc, who managed an super-meek "Hello!" as he walked past (which shocked me because he is really quiet in class). Where is this newfound confidence coming from?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missy you are right--you can make a bright spot in ANY situation.
Looking back at your first few blogs and seeing how stressed you were because you didn't have anyone around your age, no internet, unorganized school etc....I knew that somehow you were going to make it work. That is just the kind of person you are. You have done a fabulous job with your students that i can only say-GREAT JOB Missy!!!!!!!! Sometimes the hardest part is saying goodbye as we both know but just remember if you are welcome back or not you gave it your best and you have no regrets. And look how you got to see the other parts of the world and the friends you have made thru students and faculty. That you will treasure for the rest of your life!!!!!
Just make sure you caught that jeep through the jungle because I want to see you in 95 days (who's counting! Gosh I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
Hugs and kisses OOOXXX
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Missy,

This is Rich and Mary Ann. Your Dad was in Platteville yesterday and showed us your blog. It sounds like you have had wonderful time and have done some great work. We always knew you would make an impact and the kids in Luneville now know it too.

We hope to get to see you sometime and maybe it will be in France if we can swing it. Keep up the good work and know that we think of you often.

Love,
Rich and Mary Ann