Monday, March 16, 2009

March Madness

"March Madness" has never been a more appropriate moniker for my school, because March has made my kids turn bonkers. I suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that the days are getting longer, the temperatures are increasing (although a week of rain and cold last week has made me believe otherwise) and the 100-day countdown to the bac. I don't mind one bit, because I just had a semi-great high school-based lesson with the secondes, in which one adorable student, Benjamin, asked questions about American high school the ENTIRE HOUR. No lie, every time I turned around he had a new question. Also, French high schoolers LOVE yearbooks...especially picking out "zee beauteeeful girlzz!" and "zee moche (ugly) students" and myself ("eet eez a beauteeeful peecture Méleeessa!").

However, March is also, quite possibly, my favorite time of the year because CBS and ESPN take off the kid gloves in their quest to show as much college basketball as possible. If you know me, you already know how I am parked on my sofa for the tournament, with munchies and remote in one hand and my bracket in the other. This year, obviously, its not feasible to do this, because of the time difference and my lame-o internet. I am, however, still making my bracket, so you had better hope and pray that I don't beat you (how embarrassing would that be?!). I'm also renewing my yearly bracket bet with an old high school friend. We've been filling out brackets and betting for about 5 years now, and I lead 3-1-1 (last year's tie was really infuriating for me). A case of beer rides on this...so I'm doing as much research as I can before making my picks. Wow, I miss college basketball (and I would be remiss if I didn't plug my TAR HEELS in a college hoops-themed blog). To fill the void, I'm going to a soccer game in Nancy on Saturday night. Because I have to get the March Madness atmosphere SOMEWHERE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Missy!
Tell you what---I will take your place! I almost have all the cleaning, vaccuming, dusting, laundry and meals done. I told dad that he can have the remote on Mon., Tues. and Wed. because Thursday thru Sunday I GET IT! Basketball, basketball and more basketball! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!
I will have a picture of you beside me so that you can (somewhat) be there to enjoy it with me. Gotta go--running to the store to pick up that beer, pizza and snacks. Talk to you soon and please try to call between games if you must call from Thursday thru Sunday. Love and miss you sooooo much.
Hugs and Kisses OOXX
Love Mom

Melissa said...

i just realized that i never filled out my bracket, so i woke up this morning and filled it out in literally 30 seconds. i have no idea who is good or not so its pretty top-heavy. it was the easiest year ever to pick. no agony over the 6/11 or 5/12 matchups.