Our adventure started on the TER Alsace from Nancy to Colmar. Unknowingly, we sat in a really cold train car. As the train rolled into Lunéville, my former haunt, the windows began to ice over. A conductor came in and told everyone to move--the heat was broken in that car (we were wondering why we could see our breath). Shortly, we were sitting in a warm, sunlit car en route to Colmar, passing through mountainous areas of Lorraine and Alsace and commenting on how Christmasy everything looked (it snowed the night before).
In short, Colmar was amazing! And cold! Upon arrival, it was -7ºC/19ºF (without wind chill) and lightly snowing. That was the high temperature. Luckily, the cold could not freeze our spirits. We wandered around the town, from market to market. I ate a heck of a lot of good food: a white sausage with ketchup (my bratwurst substitute), chocolate covered strawberries, tarte flambée (thin crust with crème fraîche, bacon, onions and cheese), free Christmas cookies and nuts, hot orange juice with honey and spices, and vin chaud (the first time I'd ever sampled hot white wine...usually its made from red). We met and took pictures with St. Nicolas, who was wandering around one of the markets for children (and children at heart). He gave us the free nuts. We ended our day at a neighborhood of Colmar called La Petite Venise (Little Venice), which is located right on the canal, with brightly-colored houses. When we got too cold, we would quickly pop into a shop to browse and reheat.
On the way back home, we stopped briefly in Strasbourg and ate a little more food at the Christmas market in front of the train station. On the train, we heard a guy say that it was -14ºC/7ºF. I don't care who you are...that's cold. Also, on the train ride back, I remembered that my Polish professor at UWM, upon hearing that I would be in the Lorraine, told me that I must visit Colmar. Thanks Pan Mikoś!!
Colmar
Everything at this Christmas market booth is made by the sweet old man!
Mounds and mounds of chocolate at the Christmas market
La Petite Venise (Little Venice)
In order to get warm, we ducked into this bookstore...Librairie HARTMANN!!!! Long-lost relative, perhaps?
Me and my pal, Saint Nicolas
No comments:
Post a Comment