Thursday, April 29, 2010

Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła

As if my mom doesn't complain enough about me writing in French enough on here and on my Facebook page, here's a real curveball: język polski!  Since I feel kinda bad for not yet blogging about my trip to Poland, I decided to bunker down, crack the windows on this gorgeous day, and title this post Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła (yesh-cheh pol-ska neeyeh zhegee-neh-wa...don't ask me about stressed syllables.  It's hard enough giving a decent pronunciation guide)--one of the acceptable titles of the Polish national anthem (Poland Is Not Yet Lost).

If you know me, you know that I've been eager to visit Poland for a while now.  Most of my ancestors made their way over to the States from there, so I felt like a visit would be the best way of getting a bit in touch with my roots (yeah, I know it would've been cool to try and find exactly where they all came from, but that relies on Ellis Island records, an understanding of the fact that there was no "Poland" on a map at the times of their departures, and a command of the Polish language that I just do not have).  It also allowed me to realize how much my Polish has deteriorated since I studied it at UWM.  Jaka szkoda!

I visited first visited Krakow, partially to see the city (always heard nice things about it) and partially to visit a friend from high school who is doing her Masters at Jagiellonski University.  Immediately upon arrival, I was hit with the language, but luckily could remember enough words and phrases to find where I needed to be.  The whole way from the airport to the city, I didn't even listen to my iPod...the Polish language was music enough to my ears.  Its not "beautiful" per-se (like French is beautiful), but it sounds so cool.  Krakow was magic.  The city was really pretty and cute and, unfortunately, due to the recent tragedy, insane...but I've already blogged on that a bit.

As I was stuck in Krakow until Monday, I really could do pretty much everything I wanted.  I visited the Wawel Castle, walked all around the city (with an A+ tour guide), ate like a queen (pierogi!  bigos!  zapiekanka!  kiełbasa!)  and even attended a state funeral.  After sitting in the sun for about 8 hours, getting a burn, I'm really glad that I was pretty much forced to stay for it.  It was really interesting to see the reactions of the people.  We were crowded in the main market square, just adjacent to the church, and people packed in with flags and banners.  Everyone would spontaneously burst into song and chants.  And Kaczynski had an approval rating in the 20s.  I can't imagine how insane it would be if he were well-loved.  How fortunate that the Poles were able to put aside any anger and frustration with their president during such a tragic event.  I would only hope that about 45% of my own compatriots would act the same way in a similar situation.

I went to Auschwitz on a rainy, cold day.  I'm really glad that I went.  And I never want to go back.  The best part was knowing that after walking around all day with my warm coat and umbrella, I could leave.  A majority of the people who were imprisoned here couldn't.  There's not much more I want to say about it.

After Krakow, I ventured off alone to Gdansk, in the north, right along the Baltic Sea.  I loved, loved, loved this city!  It reminded me of Amsterdam, minus the hordes of drunk/high American college students.  A guy at my hostel said it reminded him of a small, cheap Prague.  The old part of the city had building in a multitude of different colors and styles.  The river hosted a boardwalk of restaurants and shops selling amber (Gdansk is the "amber capital" of Poland, apparently).  Besides museums (which I was reluctant to enter, seeing as the weather was gorgeous), there wasn't much to do, but I just really liked wandering.  I did go to one museum, the Roads to Freedom exhibit, a fantastic account of Poland under communism, and the Solidarity movement in the Gdansk shipyards.  I also just really like the Polish word for "Solidarity" (Solidarność) and it gives me an excuse to write it.  The movement was really one of the first to fully challenge Communist rule in the Eastern Bloc, and gave other countries a lot of inspiration to fight off the Soviet rule, through peaceful means.

Despite the rather rough ending to my trip, I'm so glad I went to Poland.  I wish I had more time to discover more of the country.  The people were so nice and patient with my extremely broken Polish.  If I had one wish however, it would without a doubt be to have my Granny see it.  I know she would've loved it.  Anyway, enjoy a few pictures:

Wawel Cathedral on Wawel Castle grounds

Auschwitz-Birkenau

Katyn Memorial and makeshift Kaczynski memorial
 
Main Market Square, waiting for the state funeral

Watching the state funeral in Krakow
 
Main Streed in Gdansk's old city
 
Monument to fallen shipyard workers during Solidarność
 
Apollo fountain...I really love the water coming out of his trident

2 comments:

A.J. said...

Mi Missy~
I will make sure Granny sees your post! I know she will love to hear of your travels there.

Have a safe trip home!

love,
A.J.

Granny said...

dzien dobry! this is your busia (aka granny speaking). I am at Aunt Judy's house on Mother's Day. This is the best opportunity to get in touch with you. I enjoyed reading about your travels to our Poland. It was like I was visiting with you. Have a safe trip home. Looking forward to seeing you. Love you a bunch.