Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Ehh...oo laike Obama or McCain?"

Above all, many MAJOR mercis to everyone who has posted a comment (and even those who are just lurking and reading). The horrible, awful culture shock that I felt a week or so ago has completely vanished and I'm back to loving (almost) everything about France (I'm sorry, rap should never be done en français). I really, really love it here and I'm very happy. And it really helps that I've been able to visit Nancy and hang out with Cheryl and other people my age.

This week and next week are really crazy because I'm talking about the elections (of course) before vacation. I can sum up each class in 3 steps:
1. General confusion about the electoral college. "Why you do ave zees? Eet ees so...stupeed!"
2. "Ehh...you do laike...eh...George Bush?"
3. "You laike Obama or McCain?"
Sidenote: my students call McCain "les patates"/"les frites"/"French fries" because McCain is a popular brand of frozen potatoes here (thank you Jennie for the correction). I can only image how infuriated the Right must be over this. I mean, they're called FREEDOM fries!

Luckily, this news has me WAY pumped up (yay Wisconsin!), and all of my students were very excited to hear that I do not, nor have I ever, liked George Bush or the War in Iraq. Disclaimer: if you couldn't already tell, I'm a total Obama supporter. If you're not, I don't care, but I'm not a left-wing nut job. I'm a ridiculously well-informed voter and I ALREADY VOTED absentee, so spare me the reprimand. My students love that I have already voted Obama. Many major thanks to Claire for the plethora of Obama materials that found their way into my mailbox on Monday. Now, I just need to work a lesson around Stephen Colbert...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

McCain is the most common brand of frozen potato products in France. Everyone in France makes fun of his name for it, mostly because that's all they know about him.

http://ielanguages.com/blog/index.php/american-culture/super-duper-tuesday/

Anonymous said...

Hi Missy!
Girl, you are pretty funny. I love reading your blogs EVERYDAY even if I must read the same one over again! I just laugh at your humor. Absolutely love the way you write!!! Keep up the great work! Talk to you soon. Hugs and kisses XXOO
Love Mom