So, I've been here a little bit over a month now, and while I'm completely embracing France, French culture, and French food (oh yes), there are moments when I do miss America, American culture, and even American food (don't worry, I haven't stepped inside a McDonald's yet). However, there is a moment every week, when I can kick back, relax, and indulge in my new guilty pleasure--Star Academy.
What is Star Academy (English version), you ask? Basically, its American Idol, but way more awesome. The contestants live in a boarding-school called "The Academy", managed by a director, and various teachers coach them in several disciplines. The singers are filmed by cameras (ala Big Brother), which show them living, rehearsing, etc. On Friday night, the contestants have to face a prime time show, where they sing the song they've prepared during the week, often with the actual artist who recorded that song. And I'm not talking C-listers here. This season, the guest performers have included Leona Lewis, Chris Brown, Lenny Kravitz, The Scorpions and...(wait for it)...The Jonas Brothers. Also on the prime time show, the bottom three contestants from the week before face elimination. One is saved by viewer votes, the other by fellow contestants. This is where it differs from American Idol.
Let's face it, Star Academy is so ridiculously over-the-top...and I can't stop watching. It's so...American. It is my weekly "petite tranche de la culture américaine" ("little slice of American culture). So no, I will not stop watching. And yes, I understand that there are some who think that an individual such as myself should not be watching this reality-television crap. To which I have only one reply: "Joanna should win."
2 comments:
Hi Missy!
I would rather watch............ FOOTBALL!!!! I agree with Alli..it's about time you update this blog. I was getting jealous reading your lunch menu every day!!! Talk to you soon. Hugs and kisses OOOXXX
Love Mom
It's kind of sad that your 'slice of americana' is super cheesy television. America has other great things to offer...right?
Miss you! Mail is on the way!
Post a Comment