I've considered myself somewhat well-traveled (especially in the environment I grew up in. I'm not bashing Platteville or southwest Wisconsin, but when half your town ends up living there their whole life, Canada seems like an exotic trip abroad), but my travels have been pretty limited to the States and Western Europe. I've never been in a place like Istanbul. Upon arrival, the skyline wasn't dotted with steeples, but minarets. Instead of church bells, my ears were greeted with call to prayer five times a day. Completely different from anywhere I've ever been.
The main sights were incredible and beautiful and historically enriching (good crash courses in both Christian and Islamic history, and Middle Eastern history). Emma, Hannah, Graham (Emma's brother) and I hit all the main sights, but in a completely leisurely fashion. The shades of blue tiles in both the Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace brought out my inner interior designer (those colors are so going in a future residence of mine). The weather was splendid...except for 2 days of rain, it was around 15°C/65°F every day, with lots of sunshine. We cruised up the Bosphorus Straight to the Black Sea (I never thought I'd see the Black Sea) on the most gorgeous day and ate lunch on fortress ruins overlooking the water. We'd frequently hop a ferry over to the Asia side for quick lunch (Asia side is the more "everyday life" side, which means everything is cheaper). Seriously, "Oh, I'm just going to hop on over to ASIA for lunch" sounds so crazy, but we did it. Speaking of food, Istanbul has amazing fresh grilled fish sandwiches.
The people of Turkey are super friendly. I can't count how many times we were invited into a shop for a tea with the owner, or someone gave us free food at a restaurant to sample. On one occasion, while looking for ceramics, the owner invited us in for an apple tea, showed us his second "back store room" with all his ceramics, gave us a free ceramic and even got our address to send us Christmas cards. Incredible.
And of course, we could not beat our accommodation. Our hostel felt more like a home by the time we left. The staff is a collection of the most friendly, entertaining people who I actually miss. There is a glorious rooftop terrace, overlooking the sea, where I spent every morning eating breakfast. On New Year's Eve, a rather large group of hostel friends hung out on the terrace, eating pistachio chocolate cake and baklava, drinking champagne and raki, while fireworks exploded overhead. Top that.
Best of all, I met the most amazing, awesome people. A lot of good nights were spent up on the terrace, hanging out, chatting, eating food and drinking Efes (local beer, of which we became mass consumers). By the time some of them left, it felt like I was saying goodbye to people I'd known for years, not days.
*I just reread this after posting it, and realized that it doesn't do this trip justice. So I'll just say it: this was the best trip I've ever taken.*
So why am I sad to be back in France? Because its cold. I have to wear layers and a jacket everywhere. I can't eat my breakfast overlooking the sea. I miss walking in the door and seeing the hostel workers and joking with them about something. I really miss the cheap, delicious food. I know this complaining is completely ridiculous, but Istanbul was really just incredible. But its ok. I am in France, after all.
Emma, me, Hannah celebrating 2010 before you celebrated 2010

2 comments:
Those pictures are B-E-A-utiful!
I know just how you feel about coming back to France. After spending two glorious weeks in Italy (it was warm, we were on the coast by the sea, family environment, etc.), I almost cried at the thought of coming back to freezing Epinal. But, once I complained to my friend from home about it, she (virtually) slapped some common sense into me and made me realize that I LIVE IN FRANCE!
Maybe we can get together next weekend to swap stories!
Jealous! i want to go and i'm definitely in need of a warm place and a vacation! we'll have to skype soon to get more of the details!
Post a Comment