Saturday, January 16, 2010

Seven Wonders

Although Istanbul was the main focus of my Turkey vacation, we did set aside a day to explore some of the ancient Roman ruins of Ephesus.  Unfortunately, my camera battery died shortly after arrival, so there was no evidence for me to post on.  However, thanks to the magic of file sharing (and two wonderful ladies), I'm now able to post pictures of stuff I saw after my camera battery died in Ephesus.

The most important thing resting near Ephesus is the site of the Temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World (along with the Great Pyramids and five other structures which now rest in pieces...or museums).  The Temple is no longer there, but from what I hear, it was a pretty amazing thing.  Of course, pieces of it now rest at the British Museum in London (gotta love imperialism), so I guess I've see parts without even realizing it.  However, lucky for us, there is still a column remaining, so I can check one of the seven off of my list.


The last remaining column of the Temple of Artemis (photo: HM)


Two very excited history majors touching real history (photo: HM).


Ephesus
 

Ephesus main street


The remains of the façade of the library
 

Singin' in the rain at the ampitheatre (photo: HM)
 

House of the Virgin Mary...legend has it that she spent her final years in the mountains of Turkey, at this small house.  The past three Popes have visited, so who am I to question? (photo: ED)


With a view like this, who wouldn't want to spend the remainder of their days here? (photo: HM)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I better comment on this blog because i might get my head chewed off if i don't.
So here goes---lovely!

Anonymous said...

nooooooooooo--those are sharp pictures! To think that you were standing there brings goose bumps to my arms. It just amases me of all these places that you are visiting and the history behind them all just blows my mind. Missy doesn't it just blow your mind to think of some of these places--holy grounds, war zones etc..that you got to see. TOTALLY AMAZING!!!
Sorry about not responding to the other blogs but your leaving on a jet plane to timbucktoo(??) was a cartoon!
Oh by the way--119 days until you come home I can't wait!!!!
Miss you and love you so very much
Love Mom XXOO

Melissa said...

yes, its incredibly mindblowing. i'm a very lucky person.

how do you know i'm coming home in 119 days? i haven't bought my ticket home yet.

Kinzie said...

Incredible pictures-- makes me want to go there!

Anonymous said...

ok--now i know which day you are coming home---113 days!!!!!

A.J. said...

Didn't realize how beautiful that country was! Not exactly pushed as a vacation destination here in the States! Sooo beautiful! Really enjoyed the pictures...

love you lots!