Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Food Bribes Work

As this is the last week of school before Christmas, I decided that since I am a great assistant, and I've been in a ridiculous mood to cook/bake lately, that I would make Christmas cookies for the classes with whom I work on a regular basis. I had already been asked to make pumpkin pie for my terminales (seniors), so I thought, "eh, what's a few more baked goods?"

I'm sure most of you remember sitting in class, bored, hungry and feeling completely unmotivated to do anything (math class, I'm lookin' at you). Then--BAM!--the teacher hits you with some snack or fun activity out-of-left-field and you're back to feeling great. So yes, I decided to bribe my students with cookies. I made everything from scratch--cookie dough and frosting--and spent all Sunday baking up a storm. Today, I gave one group of secondes their cookies and the results were magic. You would've thought that I had announced that school was cancelled for the rest of the week. Shouting, gasps of joy, "Zank you verrry musch!" and general merriment filled the air. But I definitely did not expect these reactions, from my favorite student in that class (note: students can win my heart by being very, very sweet to me and/or trying to always speak English):

After I announced that I had cookies: "Vive Obama! Eye love Méleessa!"
As I passed him his cookie: "Zank you Méleessa! Eye can keess you?"
Leaving the room: "Eye can 'ave zee recette...eh...receepee?"

In short, food bribes work. Every. Single. Time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want Cookies

Anonymous said...

Where's my cookie!

Forget it! When you bake cookies EVERY DAY (sometimes 1,000 in a day alone) you REALLY get sick of them. Great job with the baking! Remember this--kids don't care if they are fancy or elegant, just so that they get one!! Boy i better watch out--all the cooking and baking you and your siblings are doing lately might just get me out of the kitchen during the holidays. That might not be a bad thing after all?
Hugs and kisses OOOXXX
Love Mom