Every once in a while, I am reminded how absolutely awesome some of my students are. Don't get me wrong, I really like being "zee American" at my lycée, but most students just don't really care about English class. Luckily, from time to time, I get to work with some fun, engaging, candid students.
On Mondays, I typically work with two groups of secondes (14-16 yrs old), alternating weeks with Clotilde's and Béatrice's classes (ex. I work with two groups of Clotilde's one week, and two groups of Béatrice's the next week). One group is AMAZING and I love, love, love working with them. Typically, I have to ask classes multiple times, "Can you try saying that in English?" but with this group, they want to speak in English and I never have to ask. Ever. They're not only eager to speak, but they're observative and ask questions and want to learn more about me and the States. For example, one week, one student tried to explain the plot of The Santa Clause, because "eet was a verrry funny movee." And actually, he did a really good job.
But this past Monday takes the cake in adorableness. I was talking about Christmas and one of the students (who is mega-adorable) asked me, "Ehh...you are...eh...back to America on Christmas?" I explained that, no, I'm staying in France because it is very expensive to fly back to the States for such a short period of time. He got a look of concern on his face and said "You are all alone! You are able to be at my 'ouze for Christmas!" I told him thanks, but I have plans with another American friend for Christmas so I will not be alone. But honestly, I just about melted inside. It was so sweet and so adorable.
This class is mega-awesome. They are definitely my favorite. I know teachers aren't supposed to have favorites, but how can I not love innocent invitations to Christmas dinner from adorable 15-year-old students in cute broken English?
3 comments:
Hi Missy!
Could you please tell that student who invited you to his house for Christmas that he melted my heart too! As i am writing this i have tears because of the thoughtfulness of that one student who didn't want you to be alone at Christmas! Here is this student who doesn't know you well, his family doesn't know you, your from a different country, but yet he doesn't want you to spend Christmas alone. The is no other way of saying this but--absolutely beautiful. What a beautiful heartfelt gesture on his part. We sometimes tend to think that ALL teenagers are punks but this student proved us wrong. How this world would be if we all had this thoughtfulness like that 15 year old boy! Missy I really want you to let that boy know that your mother said that it was just beautiful that he offered you a place to be at Christmas. That I wish him and his family a very Blessed and Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year! This is what the Christmas season is all about--loving, sharing and caring about others who are less fortunate. To bad it doesn't happen all year round. Now if you would please excuse me--I need to get more tissues.
Love Mom XO
woah, calm down.
I am calm now. It just hit me cuz I wishing that maybe you could be home with us. I am over it now. But you have to admit(as you did) it was sweet.
Hugs and kisses OOXX
Love Mom
Post a Comment