Thursday, December 4, 2008

STOP THE H8TE

Usually, I don't post twice in one day, but a recent Facebook message from a dear friend inspired me to lay down my thoughts, probably not very elloquently. I don't expect you to agree with me. I know that many people don't or won't. But I am writing this regardless, because I feel VERY strongly about this issue, and it's my blog. I can do whatever I want.

It has been one month since Election Day. For one month, I have been celebrating the election of Barack Obama. However, one month ago also marks the passage of Proposition 8 in the state of California. Basically, this amendment disallows gay marriage and strictly defines marriage as between one man and one woman. Now, you may be thinking, "why on Earth would she care about something that happens in a state she's never even visited?" Prop 8 is bad for all Americans because it is denying the rights of American citizens. And how could you not be angry about that? The following is a cut-and-paste job from my response to the aforementioned Facebook message:

It angers me that we are supposed to be a shining example to the rest of the world, yet we can't even offer equal rights to all of our citizens. It angers me that people would vote for this--how on earth can you deny someone else the right to love freely? Gay marriage didn't kill the dinosaurs, didn't cause the fall of Rome, and I'm pretty sure that it won't cause the fall of the American democracy. There is NO harm in gay marriage!!! NONE, ZIP, ZILCH! I have found (in my short lifetime) that people who claim to be insanely "religious" are often those who fail to treat others as they would like to be treated. It angers me, it saddens me, it frightens me.

Being over here has given me AMPLE opportunities to defend America. It is a great country, but it could be an even greater country if we stopped denying our citizens equal rights. I cannot defend America's history in terms of racial segregation, slavery, relations with native americans, etc. and I cannot and will not defend America on this issue. I see pictures and video footage of the Civil Rights movement and I think "How awful it is that people were forced to live like this, unable to do the things that my parents and grandparents could, simply because of the color of their skin." But in reality, it is the same with gay marriage. How horrible it is that these PEOPLE cannot do the same things I can, simply because of their sexual orientation. And really, they are people. They eat and sleep and breathe. Aren't we supposed to celebrate our differences? Isn't that what made America so special?

Every time a gay marriage amendment/bill/whatever is passed, I'm upset. Strike that...every time an amendment/bill/whatever that denies AMERICAN CITIZENS THE RIGHTS THEY DESERVE is passed, I get upset. Hopefully, people will OPEN their hearts, eyes and minds and realize what a horrible thing this is. Because america can't get better until EVERY citizen receives the rights that they deserve.

Anyway, this link is a much better, much more elloquent version of what I was trying to say, courtesy of Mr. Keith Olberman. And this link is a great satire of the whole situation, staring your favorite Hollywood celebrities!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!
That's my girl and I am SO proud of her!! You go girl.
I hope that some of your uncles would read this!
Love you and miss you sooooo much!
Love Mom