I'm safely in France! I wish that I could say that I'm sitting in my comfy bed with Wi-Fi, but I'm actually freeloading off of McDonalds (internet is free if you buy something...so I bought a $1.50 tea). I don't want to bore you, so I'll just say: everything went smoothly, without any problem.
Packing was way easier than last year, except that I couldn't pack my dog. When he realized that I was packing and leaving, he kept getting in the way. I know, Zeus, I wanted to take you along with me!
Except that I was in the middle seat on the flight over, sitting next to two guys. The first, who looked like the guy in the insurance commercials banging on his steering wheel and singing "The Point of Know Return" by Kansas, hogged the armrest and stole my in-flight snack. The second acted like me getting up and going to the bathroom was the biggest inconvenience in the world. Seriously dude, you're watching Transformers 2. Missing 10 seconds will probably improve your viewing experience. Good thing: I got to see The Brothers Bloom for my entertainment.
I met two assistants on my way. One who will be in the Nantes academy, and the other was an Australian girl whom I vaguely knew from last year and worked in Nancy, who will be in Commercy this year.
Best part: arriving in Nancy. First thing I see? A big manifestation by hospital workers. Not even 3 hours in France and I already see a strike. Welcome back. Also, my colleagues are ridiculously nice. Everyone was so excited to see me that they immediately said every/any thing they knew in English. I'll be sitting in some of their classes this week, just to familiarize myself with the students, so it was nice to meet them.
Hélène, the main English teacher, is so, so nice. She had me over to her house (and already told me that I will be spending Christmas with her if I have no plans) for dinner. We had a traditional meal of meat and veggies wrapped in cabbage. Her husband was impressed with my level of French, which made me happy. She offered to let me spend the night, but I had so much to do today that I asked to be taken back to my apartment.
My apartment. Oh my goodness. Its HUGE. My room is easily the size of last year's living/dining area (for those who've seen it/pictures of it). I have A DOUBLE BED. Its the first double bed I've had in my life. There's no stove (bummer), but I do have two hotplates, so I'm going to have to get creative with meals. I love it, however. Everything is bright and cheery and airy and perfect for me.
Ok, this is too long already. More later!
7 comments:
lol. When we landed we were told on the plane that our bags might take longer than usual because of a strike by the luggage works. It was practically "Bienvenue en France" with more words. Not even off the plane yet.
Glad you arrived safely and happily!
Gosh I miss you already and so does Zeus!
i forgot how to put my name in so that you know its MOM!
Love MOM XXOO
This is all right for now
i look forward to year 2 of updates, esp student quotes, lol, but i think more than anything i look forward to more darlene! :D
-kristie
Thank you Kristie! I WILL TRY to accomadate (?) Is that spelled right?
Mom (Darlene)
Oh no, I just blew my cover
arf-arf meow-meow
Hi from Zeus and Kitty (Tabitha)
Feed me, feed me!!!
omg i love that pic it's so funny.
Post a Comment