Monday, April 20, 2009

Hello, Goodbye

I just finished my last session with Béatrice's secondes, and I'm incredibly sad. Because I believe that sharing food is an essential part to understanding every culture and because I didn't want to battle with the photocopier once more, I decided to bring two very American snacks for my groups: PB&J sandwiches and Jello. The kids loved it (I knew they would...they're all 15-16 year-old boys), and it was fun to share stuff I grew up on with them.

The worst part, of course, came at the end. I've thought a lot in the past few days about what I would say, but decided that planning something would make it a lot less heartfelt and sincere. So for the last few minutes, I just spoke exactly what I felt. I told them how much I've enjoyed this year and working with them. I've actually learned a lot from them, just observing their interactions with me and with each other. And even though I know that English is not their favorite thing, I've been treated really well by all of them. I almost wish that Béatrice hadn't decided to stay in the room this lesson, and just let my kids be their normal, candid selves. Surprisingly, no tears (I attribute this to having the professor there...gotta be strong), although my voice did crack a bit. I think that 10% of me is so certain that I will be back next year, that this part feels like this is "see you later!" as opposed to "goodbye." But, of course, there's that 10% of me that feels like this is a definite, last-time-ever type thing. And then there's the 80% that waffles between the two.

Next week is the last session with Clotilde's secondes, which should be just as sad.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OOOOOHHHH! I bet it's crazy having to say goodbyes, but i bet you're the favorite seeing how you bring them snacks! :0)

Melissa said...

i've received numerous compliments from my students and french friends about how great a cook i am. i credit mama h.

although, regarding the students, making jello isn't exactly time-consuming or back-breaking.

Anonymous said...

I taught you well!
Love you----- 15 days!
XXOO