I am officially finished as an English assistant at Lycée Boutet de Monvel. And really, this was the perfect ending. Yesterday, I treated my well-liked terminales to PB&J sandwiches and answered general questions about the United States (as in, "How much do plane tickets cost? How much do hotels cost? When can we visit?" My responses: "It depends. It depends. ANYTIME!") One girl's face when I put the slice of peanut butter with the slice of jelly was priceless. I've only worked with them probably 5 times (mainly because its really difficult to find time when you only have English class twice a week), but they're really fun and full of personality and I've always enjoyed them. I'd much rather have a class full of too-chatty students than silence (trust me).
Today, I worked with a class of the "tech" kids (who are studying to be woodworkers/carpenters). This is only the second time I've worked with them, but I must give them their props. I really wish that I could've worked with them more. I don't know if its just because I've only been there twice, but they were so well-behaved. Their teacher kept telling me, "If they're bad, I will be in the teacher's lounge. Send them to me." but I've never even had to consider taking such action. They responded well to Scategories, as we alternated rounds of French and English, and I got to play in French (I'd kill in English). I definitely won cool points with a few responses of "Sylvester Stallone", "Arnold Schwarzenegger" and Le dîner de cons. One group chose Commando as their "C" movie, which reminds me of possibly my favorite Arnold Schwarzenegger one-liner. I told them about how I loved this scene and afterwards, heard whispers of "Elle est cool!" Rock. A few of the students hung around as I locked the door to wish me a "good return to the United States" and to express that they wished that I had worked with them more. I hope that if I return next year, I will be able to work with them on a more regular basis. It really is the perfect way to end my stay...with a well-behaved class.
1 comment:
A GREAT teacher deserves a great bunch of kids! You done a great job Missy and by the looks of all your blogs and the responses from the students---a perfect ending to a perfect English assistant! Everything goes hand in hand. I think you have done an excellent job and (hopefully) I think the school and other teachers know that also. Lets hope that the higher up group of knowledgeable people(???)realize that too and that you will be back with the students next year. If not, there are many many students here that would benefit from you as a teacher. whatever the case--Missy you have done magnificant!!!! you go girl! Dad and I are so proud of you! Hurry home we miss you sooooo much! Talk soon. Hugs and kisses OOOXXXX stay safe
Love Mom
Post a Comment