Sunday, November 22, 2009

ÇA M'ÉNERVE [updated: 24/11/2009]

There's a ridiculously cheesy song here in France, appropriately entitled "Ça m'énerve" ("It drives me crazy"/"It bothers me"/etc).  And there is no more appropriate, family-friendly expression to describe my multiple problems with my French bank card.

Shortly after my arrival, I composed the wrong PIN code for the third time.  No big deal in the States, but in France you get three strikes before your card is blocked.  I wasn't too bummed about it, because it was easy to fix.  Plus, I didn't have much in my French account, so I wanted to wait until I got paid before I used my card again.  After finally getting paid, I went to an ATM to withdraw some money, but, to my surprise, my card was still blocked.  I went in to the bank and explained that my card was blocked (and it shouldn't have been), so he tried to unblock it.  However, the unblocking machine was not working with my card, so he ordered me a new card.  Great.  My new card came and I tried using it.  Surprise, surprise...it didn't work.  At this point, I just asked for a new code (hey, maybe it was me, even though I know it was the right code).  I got my new code on Friday, and was eager to finally get some cash.  Except the card was not readable.  Fantastic.  So tomorrow, I get to go back to the bank (the same guy has helped me every time, sadly.  I'm pretty sure when he sees me walking in, he'll start trying to look busy just to avoid another problem from the crazy American).

La carte bancaire.  Ça m'énerve.
========================================================

UPDATED 24/11/2009
Everything is working fine!  I went back to the bank and (surprise, surprise) the same guy was working.  I explained that I was still having problems, but we got everything sorted out and my card now works just fine.  It was frustrating, but nothing that a little retail therapy can't solve!

Also, I never want to go into Crédit Lyonnais ever again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh Missy! It's still not working? Maybe when you go to the bank just take some money out so you have it. Hopefuly since the time that i read this you have it all ironed out. Please let me know. Maybe you need an access code, like te one for Grandma's telephone!
Talk to you soon. Love you.
Mom XXOO

Melissa said...

no, its working now. i went yesterday and got it fixed. my new "access code" works. :)

Kristie said...

a teacher taught me another expression to express frustration: ça m'agace. that was one of the first things i learned here. we were at the bank when she told me about it, go figure.