Monday, November 9, 2009

No Snizz. All Fondue.

I love fondue.  Absolutely love it.  Maybe it goes back many years ago to a family game of Taboo (Dad, I know you're reading this), when the word was fondue and my parents were convinced that I would never get my brother or sister to guess the word.  I yelled out "Snizz!!" to which they instantaneously replied "Fondue!!" (Snizz and Fondue was a short lived cartoon on Nickelodeon...I also believe that was the last time my family ever played Taboo.  We're too competitive).  Back to the present, the dish takes two of the greatest things on earth--a pot hot, bubbly cheese and white wine, and chunks of bread--and combines them for the ultimate meal.  For people who have known me for longer than 4-5 years, you probably remember my extreme dislike--ok, extreme hatred--of all things cheese (I wouldn't even eat a cheeseburger until I was probably 11 or 12.  And if my burger had cheese on it, I couldn't even pick it off...I just wouldn't eat it).  Now, I'm embracing my Cheesehead heritage!

On Saturday, my friend Emma and I went by a German assistant (she's in Lunéville!  But not BDM) just to hang out.  Well, the German assistant's roommates were having a small get-together.  We promised to stay for a drink.  And that turned into staying just to try fondue savoyarde (a specialty of the French Alps--made with emmenthal, beaufort and comté).  Which became us eating quite a few pieces (it was sooo good).  And that finished with us staying for a digestif.


"Sure, I'll just have one more piece..."

We had a little trouble walking back to Emma's building, and ended up taking a completely-out-of-the-way hike up one of Nancy's giant hills.  As it turns out, if we would've gone out a different door, we could've completely avoided the hill altogether, as that exit would've led us to Emma's street.  Fortunately, the hill hike was not completely worthless, as we were able to catch a glimpse of the city lights (in reality, there were a lot more lights, but my camera is terrible at night).


a few of the city lights...

Another quick surprise: this morning I opened my mailbox to find a lovely package from my Marquette twin, Claire.  Included were a bag of candy corn, a Paris-themed sleep mask, and Beatles playing cards.  And every card has a different photo/album cover.  AMAZING.  MERCI CLAIRE!

No comments: