When I first moved into my flat at la Fontaine, I was pretty overjoyed. Despite the lack of an oven (I've definitely put my creative cooking skills to test, and have figured how to make a complete Thanksgiving dinner, except for the pumpking pie) and the lack of Internet (which was later remedied), the place is pretty sweet. However, as the nights grew chillier, I felt the cold creep into my room, my bathroom, everywhere. Simple solution: crank up the heater (I believe at one point I had it up to 24C) and enjoy the warmth.
Flashforward to a few days ago. At some point during vacation, someone decided to hook a black cable/hose-to-nowhere up to the big power generator (?) in my building. Ok. Whatever. Unfortunately, this has caused random, unpleasant power outages for the past 4 days. Not that bad of a problem, because it would get fixed within a few hours (wait, this is France, right?). I learned to deal with it, and with the television turning on at various hours of the day, due to power restoration. However, yesterday, I got a pleasant knock at my door at 9am, alerting me that the power would be off from about 10am until the afternoon, and that my apartment (which has some kind of circuitbreaker) was going to be looked at.
Long story short, after poking around, unplugging and replugging everything multiple times, the "source" of the power outages was "discovered." Apparently, my radiator in the bathroom is "broken" (its not and has always worked fine), and needs to be unplugged from now on. Funny, I would've thought that the mysterious cable-to-nowhere would be the problem, since everything was fine until it showed up. The electricity guys and I are fast becoming friends, since they're seemingly in here 3 times a day. But hey, at least they're working, and not just whistling and blasting TI's "Whatever You Like" at 6am (right Cheryl?).
Good news: power was restored (for the afternoon/night). Bad news: somehow, the other two radiators in my apartment have now stopped working all together. There's more heat in the hallway, with the outside door cracked open, than there is in my flat. I'm just going to take a stab in the dark and say that it has something to do with the power experiments. Just a guess. I found a spare radiator in my flat's "forbidden room" (I was literally told to never go in there, but my curiousity got the best of me...it was just like Beauty and the Beast, but without the beast. Or the floating, sparkling rose), so if the heat is still not cranking out glorious warmth later, I'm hooking that thing up bedside.
And I would just like to add that in the time it took me to type out this post, the power has gone out twice. Le sigh.
3 comments:
The 'forbidden room' actually made me lol. Cheers from a fellow assistant :)
Missy--remember those days when you, Meghan or Joey would be just walking past the thermostat in the living room and Dad thought you guys were turning up the heat and Dad would say put on a sweatshirt---i think its one of these times!!!! Please be careful putting anything close to the bed! I was completely laughing reading this blog. I love you kid!!!
Zeus would keep you warm! arf-arf
oh, the chill went WAY past "put on a sweatshirt." its more like "put on a sweatshirt. and a blanket. and another blanket." don't worry, the heater is positioned in the middle of the room, away from any potential hazards.
and mom, i'm sure this will give you as many laughs as the image of me getting smushed by the metro doors.
Post a Comment