Sunday, November 15, 2009

Expelliarmus!

I work with around 150 kids, so I knew it was only a matter of time before I had to kick the first student(s) out of my class.  It happened last year; its going to happen this year.  Hey, I love you kids, but if you can't handle yourself, I'm sorry, but its a waste of my time, your time and your classmates time.

On Friday, I had a particularly rambunctious group of 6èmes (11-12 yrs).  Fiona, their teacher, asked me to run a listening exercise about family members with them.  Out of the group of thirteen, seven were actually trying to work and do the exercise.  The other six were talking, throwing paper (seriously, what is the deal with throwing paper, pens, ink cartridges, etc?), making noise, standing up, coming to the board to draw, etc.  I gave the misbehaving ones ample warning, yelled at them in French, separated all of them, but finally kicked them out.  I got a few "death glares" on the way out from some students who claimed that they did nothing (yo kids, talking loudly and not listening is not nothing).  Class drastically improved after that.

Fiona made the two main culprits apologize to me after class, and write apologies, which were hilarious.  One was titled "punition" (punishment).  I'm willing to give them a second chance, but have already been told that they will not work with me the next time it is their turn.  One of the good girls explained, I'm a professor, not like the others, but still a prof, and they should treat me like one or be expelled from class.  As for the "death glares"...I was a lifeguard for 6 years.  You can't scare me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha I just love you! You're too funny!

Anonymous said...

Boy am I glad I didn't have you for a teacher! You would be kicking me EVERY DAY! You meanie you! No just kidding. Don't take @#$% from nobody. It's that Polish blood in you.
Love you teacher

Melissa said...

hahaha, thanks alli! i love you too!

so mom, are you admitting to deserving that eraser that sister whoever threw at you?

Anonymous said...

Its wasn't a nun, it was a teacher. And it wasn't an eraser, it was one of the poles you use to open windows from the top. Miss Cogan throw it at me, I ducked and it hit the blackboard and made a hole! I shut up for a day or two after that! You know i could have lost an eye or something, and sued them! I wouldn't have gotten anything because catholic schools didn't have money-(in those days). You know if i would have told Dad about it he probably would have given me a black eye for disturbing the class! Those were the days.

A.J. said...

Tell those kids that throwing things is real funny until somebody loses an eye...

Well, at least no one fell asleep in your class. The nuns at St. Barbara's used to throw erasers at kids who fell asleep during class.

Zzzz....